Thursday, June 26, 2014

Justin 2011 Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon


I’ve been really enjoying Paso Robles Cabernet lately. It has a lush, interesting flavor that teases the palate. For me it could be the answer to, “What do you try when you need a change from Napa Valley?”
On a recent business trip to Philadelphia, a colleague from California was going on about how she loved Justin wines. She also dressed me down because I pronounced it “Paso Ro-blehz” instead of “Paso Ro-bulls,” which is the preferred pronunciation of the locals.
Right across the street from the hotel is a hip new restaurant, “Bank & Bourbon.” We were soon seated there and as I reviewed the wine list I decided that however you pronounced it, we were having Cabernet from Paso tonight.
Justin is one of the top wineries in California and produces Isosceles, its renowned flagship Bordeaux-style blend. I hadn’t tried any Justin wines and I was way past due.
We started with Bank and Bourbon’s Secret Knock cocktail, a mixture of their house aged whiskey, green tea and clarified milk. It caused a bit of confusion with our lactose-intolerant colleague – but since the lactose was mostly cooked out of the mix, she suffered no ill effects.
The wine was a great addition to my steak filet with royal trumpet mushrooms. It spends more than a year in small oak barrels, but the aging sculpts the wine subtly. This is a smooth wine with medium body, black fruit and currant notes. It has complexity courtesy of cinnamon and cocoa flavors. The mixture is a divine glass of vino.
This really whet my appetite for my trip to Paso Robles in about two weeks. Justin, don’t run out of wine before I arrive!
Rating: 4.5 of 5  Value: 3.5 of 5 (based on a price of about $25)

No comments: