Thursday, May 22, 2014

Clos Du Val 1981 Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley

A wine review by Tasting Team Member Dr. J.
Friday night Casey and I decided to crack open one of my "gift certificate" wines from California Wine Club.
I recently won a feedback contest at the California Wine Club.  I have been a member for a little over six months and I had no problem sharing feedback on such a positive experience.  Within about ten days I received a call that I had won the contest and that I had a $250 gift certificate to use on their wine.  
With a stocked cellar, I chose extra quality over quantity.  This was the perfect chance to try higher end wines that I might not otherwise get to experience.  My first choice was an aged Cabernet from my birth year; 1981.  This would be far and away the oldest wine I had ever tried.
The 1981 Napa Valley Clos Du Val Cabernet Sauvignon was light on the nose right out of the bottle.  We decanted for about a half hour and continued to enjoy the wine for the next hour and a half. 
As the wine opened, we experienced notes of camphor, tar, and leather.  This wine is very dry with a medium body and a smooth finish.  On the palate was cherry and wood chips with very soft tannins and a lengthy finish.  
I would have liked to try this about 10 years ago but there were still signs of life.  I wouldn't push this one much further.  At $80, I have had better for the price but it was great to try a wine as old as I am!

Enhanced by Zemanta





No comments: