SOUTHERN INDIANA—The Indiana Uplands Wine Trail (IUWT), comprised of nine wineries—Best Vineyards, Brown County, Oliver, Butler, Carousel, French Lick, Winzerwald, Turtle Run and Huber Orchards and Vineyard, will be celebrating the start of their Holidays in the Uplands ticketed event on Nouveau Weekend, November 15th through the 18th.
“Holidays in the Uplands” allows ticket holders visiting the nine wineries on the Indiana Uplands Wine Trail from Nov. 15 through Dec. 31 to receive a gold ornament with each winery's logo as well as a grapevine wreath to display their treasures for a special holiday memento of their travels. Tickets cost $35 per person and are available on-line at http://holidaysintheuplands2012.eventbrite.com or at any Uplands winery. A limited number of tickets will be available for the limited edition ornament collection.
In France, the third Thursday of November marks the day when the first young Beaujolais wines vinted from the current year’s grapes are released with much fanfare to celebrate the harvest. Many of the Uplands’ wineries will likewise be be celebrating the tradition by introducing a new wine or a new vintage for tasting that weekend including the following:
· Winzerwald will offer a new Lieblich, a semi-sweet blend of Riesling, Gewurztraminer and Vidal Blanc –the perfect match for holiday ham, turkey or goose!
· Butler Winery will be releasing their new semi-sweet Traminette.
· Carousel will release its popular Winter Jewel, a mix of Raspberry and Cranberry wines. If the Ruby Gem Stone had a flavor, this would be it!
· French Lick Winery will debut a new dry red wine, Noiret. This medium bodied, fruity wine has bright cherry and strawberry flavors and a distinctive black pepper finish.
· Turtle Run will have a new 2012 Chambourcin.
· Best Vineyards will release a Chambourcin wine called Nouveau 2012 vinted in the traditional French Nouveau style. A semi-sweet wine with very fruity aromas of berries and cherry.
· Huber’s Orchard and Vineyard will once again have its Pop's Reserve Nouveau for the 12th annual event at Huber's Winery on Thursday. Pop’s Reserve is a deep rooted tradition passed onto the 6th Generation Huber’s by great, great grandfather Pop’s.
Join all nine wineries as they ring in the holiday season with great new wines and vintages on Nouveau Weekend and offer ticket holders a special grapevine wreath with holiday logo ornaments to be collected through December 31st.
In addition to tasting great new holiday releases and collecting your holiday ornaments, make sure to also pick up a Passport to the Wine Trail at the first winery and after visiting all nine, the last winery will present you with one slate cheese serving tray per passport just in time for those holiday celebrations. Each participant that completes the passport will also be entered into a grand prize drawing which will be held at the 2013 Vintage Indiana Wine Festival in Indianapolis in June.
New wines, holiday ornaments, and free cheese serving trays…now is the time to visit Indiana’s first wine trail and“raise your glass & lift your spirits”! Visit www.IndianaUplands.com for links to individual wineries.
Photo by Jenny Downing