Friday, July 9, 2010

St. Michaels Winery 2008 Long Splice

Looking for some wine with a nautical theme to spank the summertime heat? Here's a unique wine we picked up at the License to Steal wine marketing conference held at Geneva, Ohio, that will have you feeling ship-shape. 
St. Michael's Winery is a boutique winery in the Chesapeake Bay resort town of St. Michael's, Maryland. Their Long Splice is a unique blend of 73% Seyval (a French-American hybrid grape) and 27% Chardonnay. The long splice is an especially difficult rope splice done by sailors. The matching of Seyval and Chardonnay is a challenging splice as well -- one that I think works.

We tried the 2008 vintage. When I sampled it at the conference, it struck me as a notch above some of the other regional wines. This is, to my knowledge, the first Maryland wine I've tasted and I liked the freshness. The Seyval gives it a bit of spice that differentiates it from straight Chardonnay. The body is medium and, as you may expect from a winery on the Eastern Shore, it goes well with seafood -- especially oysters.

Technorati Tags: ,

Bookmark and Share

No comments: